On Thursday, May 3 the Sacramento region will come together for one Big Day of Giving from 12:01 AM to midnight. This is a national 24-hour online challenge to benefit local charities in the area.
Come by the museum between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM for a complementary glass of wine, hors d’ oeuvres, and assistance in making your online donation.
For every donation of $25 or more per different person Gilley’s Car Wash (NE Sheldon Road and Highway 99) will give a FREE $16 car wash.
The Spring Tea is just around there corner (May 12, 2018) and reservations can be snatched up quickly, so get yours soon! For more information or to order tickets click here.
We are located at 9941 East Stockton Blvd., adjacent to the west entrance of Elk Grove Regional Park, Heritage Park gives visitors the experience of looking into the past and the rich history of the city of Elk Grove. The park grounds consists of the 1950 Elk Grove House and Stage Stop Museum, the 1912 San Joaquin Township Justice Court and Jail, the 1853 Foulks House, the 1854 Reese school, the Dennis Buscher Plaza, bathroom facilities and lawns. The park is open for FREE tours every first Saturday of each month from noon to 4:00 pm or upon request.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 562, Elk Grove, CA 95759
1850 Elk Grove House and Stage Stop Museum
The main feature is the reconstructed Elk Grove House & Stage Stop, built in 1850 by James Hall, the founding father of Elk Grove.
Sitting along the historic Monterey Trail, the original building was torn down in 1957 for a Highway 99 expansion project. Reconstructed by the Elk Grove Historical Society from drawings and pictures, the building now houses many exhibits from the Elk Grove area. In addition to the exhibits, visitors will see what a public house would have looked like in 1850, when California first became a state, with a ladies parlor, a men’s tavern, kitchen, several bedrooms and ballroom. Here the visitor can view artifacts from early settlers of the region. The exhibits are changed frequently and a special display is done every Christmas.
The museum has a Research Library, which holds the largest collection in California of documents, books, photographs and artifacts from the Elk Grove area. Its open to the public by appointment.
1912 San Joaquin Township Justice Court and Jail
The original San Joaquin Township Justice Court also sits on the museum grounds. Built in 1912, this building served the towns of Elk Grove, Sheldon, Florin and surrounding areas until the mid 1940s. Here you will find the last two remaining cells from the original 1850 Sacramento County Jail. The cells came from the prison ship La Grange that was moored at the mouth of the Sacramento River upstream from H Street.
The 1853 Foulks House is currently being restored on the museum grounds. The Foulks House is the oldest remaining residence in Elk Grove. It was built by Euphemia Foulks, a widow, who with her five children crossed the plains by wagon train in 1852. The family went on to become prominent Elk Grove citizens.
The Reese School has served the area around Florin, including the Japanese fruit farming families of the area. It is the last known remaining one-room schoolhouse in the EGUS District. It has been moved to the Heritage Park grounds and plans have been submitted for restoration.
We also operate the Rhoads School, a restored prairie school. Opened in May of 1872, the school was named after John P. Rhoads, who arrived in California from Illinois in 1846. The relocation of the Rhoads School from Sloughhouse Road to Elk Grove Park was completed on July 4, 1977. On July 4, 2002, the Rhoads School celebrated its 25th anniversary in Elk Grove Park. Today the Rhoads School serves two purposes. It is a Living History Program for school classes in the Sacramento County area, and it is also a museum that is open to the public on the first Saturday of every month from 1:00 to 4:00 pm and for special events that are held in Elk Grove Park.
The Lincoln Highway passed through Elk Grove in front of the Elk Grove House & Stage Stop Museum on what is now East Stockton Blvd.