In the early days of our community, farmers, gold miners, businessmen, and others realized the importance of teaching our youth, so they built small one room schools scattered throughout the area. (See “Early Schools” under “HISTORY TOPICS” on the Menu for details of all 40 schools.) Schools near each other formed small school districts, some had several schools in the district, some just the one. In 1959 they all combined into one huge school district called the Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD).
This display has a photograph of each school with a map of where they were located. Also there is a small mock classroom with many of the school items of the day.